Together with Mathias Brust, we have co-edited a theme issue of Advanced Drug Delivery Reviews which include the following six articles:
- Toxicology of nanoparticles, Andreas Elsaesser, C. Vyvyan Howard
- Luminescent quantum dots as platforms for probing in vitro and in vivo biological processes, Hedi Mattoussi, Goutam Palui, Hyon Bin Na
- Quantum dots to tail single bio-molecules inside living cells, Paolo Pierobon, Giovanni Cappello
- Physico-chemical parameters that govern nanoparticles fate also dictate rules for their molecular evolution, Sandrine Dufort, Lucie Sancey, Jean-Luc Coll
- Gold nanorods: Their potential for photothermal therapeutics and drug delivery, tempered by the complexity of their biological interactions, Alaaldin M. Alkilany, Lucas B. Thompson, Stefano P. Boulos, Patrick N. Sisco, Catherine J. Murphy
- Monolayer coated gold nanoparticles for delivery applications, Subinoy Rana, Avinash Bajaj, Rubul Mout, Vincent M. Rotello
and, of course, our Editorial, which starts as follows,
Biological systems, albeit magnificently well organized on the nanometer scale, do not contain nanoparticles, least those of metals or semiconductors. This should be sufficient reason to question the need to dedicate a themed issue of Advanced Drug Delivery Reviews to “Biological Interactions of Nanoparticles”. What is new and needs to be highlighted?
That is the question… for the answer, you will have to read the Editoral and the articles!